Last updated 3 years ago
In celebration of #EarthDay, we've put together a list of the top 5 ways you can keep your boat maintenance earth friendly.
1. Prevent fuel spills by installing a device to prevent overboard discharges from your tank vent and keep a supply of oil absorbant rags on board for spill cleanup of oil and fuel. Even small spills of oil can contaminate a large volume of water.
2. Properly dispose of used oil and filters - facilities are available to handle these elements which are toxic to the marine environment. In the US call 1 800 CLEANUP, and in Canada call 1 800-667-4321 for the nearest disposal facility.
3. Never mix wastes, or pour hazardous wastes down drains, on the ground or into surface waters.
4. Use green products or non-toxic cleaners - many cleaning products contain chemicals that are toxic to aquatic ecosystems. Try using natural cleaners. For example:
For fiberglass stains - Try making a paste of baking soda and water. Use a sponge or soft cloth and GENTLY rub the mix into the stain. Baking soda is abrasive, so use with care. Use a light touch of lemon or lime juice as a final wipe-down for a shiny, fresh-smelling finish.
For windows and mirrors - mix vinegar, lemon juice and warm water. Fill a spray bottle with the solution. Spray it on your windows and wipe with a lint-free cloth that doesn’t lint up.
For chrome - use apple cider vinegar on a soft cotton cloth to rub it clean and finish with a fresh cloth using a spit of baby oil giving it a bright shine.
For brass or copper - Mix baking soda and white vinegar together to create a paste. Then, rub the paste into the copper or brass object that you wish to clean. Rinse, and buff with a dry cloth.
For stainless steel - clean with a cloth dampened with undiluted white vinegar.
For aluminum - using a soft cloth, clean with a solution of cream of tartar and water.
For plastic surfaces - use a mixture of one part white vinegar and two parts warm water.
For decks - use a mixture of one part white vinegar and eight parts warm water.
For interior wood - Mix equal parts of lemon juice and olive oil. Apply a small amount to a cloth, and rub onto the furniture in long, even strokes.
5. Limit dock side hull cleaning to the above water surface area only and rinse your boat with fresh water.